canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
parnel

Us/aa Merger Can Now Go Ahead

A U.S. Supreme Court justice on Saturday night denied a last-ditch effort by a group of consumers and travel agents to stop the merger of American Airlines and US Airways.The application was denied by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the court's public information office said.The combination of American's parent, AMR Corp, and US Airways Group would create the world's largest carrier and follow last month's resolution of antitrust objections by the U.S. Department of Justice.In their appeal to the Supreme Court, plaintiffs led by California resident Carolyn Fjord warned that "irreparable injury" could be caused to the domestic airline industry if the deal goes ahead as planned. They fear the merger will drive air travel prices up and service down and make planes more crowded.

US Airways Group, Inc. (US Airways Group) is a holding company whose primary business activity is the operation of a network air carrier through its wholly owned subsidiaries US Airways, Piedmont Airlines, Inc. Shares of LCC traded higher by 0.89% or $0.2/share to $22.55. In the past year, the shares have traded as low as $12.60 and as high as $25.49. On average, 8551170 shares of LCC exchange hands on a given day and today's volume is recorded at 28366610.

And *A gets rid of its worst carrier...US Air. YEG and US Air deserve each other

Sounds like the opinion of someone who hasn't flown US since 2007. There's been a huge turnaround since then. Wifi on pretty much all of their narrowbody fleet (including many RJs), consistently among the best hub and spoke carriers operationally in the US, trans-Atlantic J on par with AC, much better value from Dividend Miles than Aeroplan... Heck, even the mess that used to be PHL has been sorted out.

Sure, domestic F is a drag (although priced accordingly), but it's still better than any intra-Europe product from the European Star carriers.

Hard to believe you think US is worse than Turkish, Egyptair, heck, even UA these days.

Sounds like the opinion of someone who hasn't flown US since 2007. There's been a huge turnaround since then. Wifi on pretty much all of their narrowbody fleet (including many RJs), consistently among the best hub and spoke carriers operationally in the US, trans-Atlantic J on par with AC, much better value from Dividend Miles than Aeroplan... Heck, even the mess that used to be PHL has been sorted out.

Sure, domestic F is a drag (although priced accordingly), but it's still better than any intra-Europe product from the European Star carriers.

Hard to believe you think US is worse than Turkish, Egyptair, heck, even UA these days.

maybe they are better now.  I stopped flying them when they were at their worst, particularly in PHL and I really haven't heard many compliments about them in recent times. They had very few code shares with AC in any event and were not on any routes I've been flying in recent times. BTW I have heard reasonably good things about TK in J  

I don't think they ever codeshared with AC.

FWIW, although US is leaving Star on March 30th, they will continue to have separate agreements with many Star carriers for codeshare and mileage earning: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian, Eva, Shenzhen, Singapore, South African, TAM, TAP and Turkish.