canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
parnel

GLOBAL ENTRY/NEXUS

Received this email today:

We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

Additional information will be sent out prior to the pilot s implementation, explaining more about the program and the necessary steps you will need to take in order to participate.

For more information and the latest updates, please visit www.tsa.gov or contact TSA at (866)289-9673.

Additionally, CBP would like to announce the availability of Global Entry kiosks at select Canadian preclearance locations. Global Entry kiosks are now available at CBP preclearance at the Vancouver International Airport and at Ottawa s MacDonald-Cartier Airport. Global Entry kiosks will be placed at Montreal s Trudeau International Airport and at Toronto s Lester B. Pearson International Airport by September 2011. The placement of Global Entry kiosks at Canadian preclearance locations is the next step i n the integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs.

The integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS programs began in December 2010, when CBP published a Federal Register Notice announcing that NEXUS members could participate in Global Entry. With the deployment of Global Entry kiosks to Canadian preclearance, Global Entry members will be able to take advantage of the program when returning home from Canada. NEXUS members will have the option of using either the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks in preclearance. Further announcements will be made as necessary.

For the past few years TSA has had Nexus cards listed as acceptable pieces of ID on their websites, and yet commonly failed to recognize them as such at their checkpoints. I can only imagine how well they will do with this program.

Can Canadian Nexus holders also use these priority lanes?

My undestanding is yes we can. I am about to renew my passport and thus will go to the nexus office to update my file so will ask the question

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

it says only US citizens.

There appears to be some confusion as I saw a previous announcement that Canadians with the IRIS scan nexus cards, as opposed to the land crossing version could clear any US entry port through global entry.

There appears to be some confusion as I saw a previous announcement that Canadians with the IRIS scan nexus cards, as opposed to the land crossing version could clear any US entry port through global entry.

The e-mail talks about 2 things: a pilot program for expedited security and the installation of GE machines at Canadian airports. The first is only for US citizens. The GE machines in Canada are open to Canadians.

Let us know what you find out when you visit the office but I am suspecting that this will be yet another part of the program that is treated consistently inconsistently.