canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
100-000miler

7 year itch

I am relieved that AC or rather Aeroplan has now installed a button over unused mileage that will expire in 2013. I have been requesting this for some time as I have a ton of Aeroplan miles to expire that year. If you use this button, they will send you a report on unused mileage that will expire 7 yrs after being earned but the report takes about 20 days to prepare. That is fine with me.

They have also added a button on Aeroplan activity for the last 12 months as well to ensure accounts are up to date otherwise they will be deleted....good way to clear out the deadwood!.

Well done, finally!

They have also added a button on Aeroplan activity for the last 12 months as well to ensure accounts are up to date otherwise they will be deleted....good way to clear out the deadwood!.

Well done, finally!

The Liberal party could use that function... :lol:

I am relieved that AC or rather Aeroplan has now installed a button over unused mileage that will expire in 2013. I have been requesting this for some time as I have a ton of Aeroplan miles to expire that year. If you use this button, they will send you a report on unused mileage that will expire 7 yrs after being earned but the report takes about 20 days to prepare. That is fine with me.
Notice how the font for any info pertaining to expiry is smaller than the font used anywhere else on the page. That's pretty disingenuous, but agreeably better than nothing.

I had a reply with a full report from them within just 3 days, far faster than the 20 days they suggest. Further the report shows my mileage to be used by up to 4 years from 2013 forward for a number of years, which is very helpful.

Very impressed with their response!

The message they give is actually:

The mileage redemption status will be sent to your email address within one to four business days of your request. If you did not provide a valid email address, the mileage redemption status will be sent to your mailing address within 20 business days of your request.

It's probably an overnight batch job.

I got my reply in 2 days but was a bit concerned to see not just miles expiring in 2013, but also quarterly through 2014. When did they introduce the quarterly stuff?

I have a substantial number expiring in 2014 and I would hate to think that if I plan a big in excursion in April a whole bunch of my points have expired at March 31. Was quarterly expiry in their T & C when they announced the 7 year limit?

I got my reply in 2 days but was a bit concerned to see not just miles expiring in 2013, but also quarterly through 2014. When did they introduce the quarterly stuff?

I have a substantial number expiring in 2014 and I would hate to think that if I plan a big in excursion in April a whole bunch of my points have expired at March 31. Was quarterly expiry in their T & C when they announced the 7 year limit?

They have said miles expire seven years after you earned them - they never said miles exire on a particular date such as December 31 after the end of the seventh year. I was actually expecting we'd lose them seven years to the day after earning them, so this may actually be a slight improvement.

Presumably what they are doing is on a quarterly basis looking at any miles that have expired during that quarter and nuking them, so you actually get somewhere between 7 and 7 1/4 years life. They would want to do this from a financial reporting perspective to keep their earnings smooth rather than lumping the gain all into one quarter of the year.

Note: I presume as long as you book your trip before the miles expire, you should be able to book up to 355 days ahead, giving you potentially 8+ years between accrual and use.

I got my response in less than 24 hours.

To my surprise I apparently have zero miles expiring through December 31, 2014.

Same here, i.e. < 24h. Same pleasant surprise too. zorn must be right; it is an overnight batch job.