canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
Hogtowner

Aeroplan increases points required on some reward flights

See page:

http://www2.aeroplan.com/use_your_miles ... d_chart.do

Not all point requirements have been increased. Of those that have been....some highlights:

NA business class reward flights from 40K to 50K

Hawaii economy from 40K to 45K

Hawaii business class from 60 to 80K

UK business class from 85K to 90K

Have a look at the chart to see the complete list

They claim this represents only an everage 5% increase in points required. Given that almost all J rewards are increasing by 15-25% it gives you some idea of how few J rewards Aeroplan actually gives out.

Joseph D'Cuna was interviewed on CBC radio news at 6:00 and said that these increases were reasonable given the increase in fuel prices. I guess he forgot that when booking on AC, we've alreasdy been paying for the higher cost of fuel throguh surcharges. He also fails to recognize that those of us who get our miles by flying (as opposed to through credit cards) have been paying higher fares, so it should balance out.

Great news. Long over due move. AE deserves praise for its bravery in the face of previous animosities towards it. Love the 45% increase in the NAmerica to AsiaI F award! And the press release spin is priceless...well, actually costly but what the heck! Let's hear those Elites really howl some more this year!

They claim this represents only an everage 5% increase in points required. Given that almost all J rewards are increasing by 15-25% it gives you some idea of how few J rewards Aeroplan actually gives out.

The % increase spin is all lies. Lies, lies and more lies. These guys make Harpoon's Tories look like paragons of integrity.

UA raised their levels more than a year ago.. US followed about a year ago.

They are still not quite in line... US is still higher on some catagories (ie business to Europe is normally 100K vs 90K with AE) and less on others (business/first to Hawaii is 70K vs 80K with Aeroplan, business off-peak to Europe in the winter is 60K). Of course, US miles still have much greater value as they don't charge fuel surcharges and allow for a lot more flexible routings.

I can't remember the last time I 'earned' any errouseless points. I only keep the Amex Platinum for MLL access.

as usual an over reaction from the home of hockey losers supreme........last place two years running and trying to keep up with the maple losers.

My wife flies to europe at least twice a year on AE points. Raising the number needed is unjust IMHO but they are useful none the less.

I can't remember the last time I 'earned' any errouseless points. I only keep the Amex Platinum for MLL access.

as usual an over reaction from the home of hockey losers supreme........last place two years running and trying to keep up with the maple losers.

My wife flies to europe at least twice a year on AE points. Raising the number needed is unjust IMHO but they are useful none the less.

By extension,are you suggesting that the Oilers are useful as well? :twisted:

That's $499 a year just to get into MLLs when flying an airline you never fly and never collect mileage in. Hmmm, makes little sense to me.

That's $499 a year just to get into MLLs when flying an airline you never fly and never collect mileage in. Hmmm, makes little sense to me.

Shouldn't jump to conclusions although that is your forte....

I've had the real Amex Platinum since the early 1990's and the MLL I got for free when it was first issued. I use the real Amex Platinum for lounge access in the U.S. (sadly CO ends in September) and for many of my business expenses.

As for ErrorCanada, unlike others who spew nonsense about airlines with which they never fly , I actually fly them occasionally so that I can validate my comments.

if you fly AC that much why cant you get into the MLLs on your status? That would save you on the Amex fees big time.

BTW the best deal with AMEX is their louge in Toronto and some (not all) cities which are better IMHO than the MLLs althought they too have risen to the competition somewhat!

The YYZ Amex lounges are really great.....It is the one reason I keep my Amex Plat card. However their lounges in HKG and other cities really suck.

if you fly AC that much why cant you get into the MLLs on your status? That would save you on the Amex fees big time.

BTW the best deal with AMEX is their louge in Toronto and some (not all) cities which are better IMHO than the MLLs althought they too have risen to the competition somewhat!

The YYZ Amex lounges are really great.....It is the one reason I keep my Amex Plat card. However their lounges in HKG and other cities really suck.

I fly ErrorCanada may be 3 to 4 times a year max. During the CCAA, the Amex Platinum MLL was given free to existing Amex Platinum holders so long as they keep the latter, which as I mention I've had a long time. I use it all the time and thus when I do fly ErrorCanada the Amex PLatinum MLL costs me nothing. Why give up something you get for free?

When I want to take guests I use my CO Gold status.