• Announcements

• admin

July 2016 Update   07/28/2016

A few months ago, the previous three year term on the site's hosting ended. Although there's been little activity over the past few years, I didn't want to see all our historical content disappear. The site was funded by members in the early years, so it didn't seem right to let the site slide into oblivion. I've updated the backend software, and hosting has been acquired for the next three years. As a result of changes with the forum software, you may find you have initial trouble logging in. If you can't sign in, try using your e-mail address instead of your screen name. Regards, Cedric Nagy
      Canflyer Administrator  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
parnel

A LIST OF AIR FARE AGGREGATORS

4 posts in this topic

http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/9 ... ntal-homes

3. A continuing increase in the use of the Internet for travel planning, at the expense of travel agents. Throughout the past year, we’ve witnessed remarkable improvements in the ability of the Internet to discover the best options for travel. We now have not simply a highly effective group of “aggregators” for airfares, surveying all the prices available to us (momondo.com, kayak.com, do-hop.com and many more), but “aggregators” for car rentals ferreting out bargains in every city (autoslash.com, breezenet.com), aggregators for best hotel prices (hotelscombined.com, hotelly.com, kayak.com, momondo.com), companies resembling aggregators for cruise prices (cruisecompete.com, vacationstogo.com). Can any travel agent do better than these? I don’t think so.

... Can any travel agent do better than these? I don’t think so.

A good travel agent is at the end of the telephone line when things go off the rails.

Expedia (especially) et al are nowhere to be seen.

Can any travel agent do better than these? I don’t think so.

For car rentals, often (if not always) the companies' own websites. The aggregators are good for scoping out which companies are offering decent rates, but I'll do the booking at the company itself and usually get a better rate.

For car rentals the exception might be the actual agent sites like Expedia who offer their own deals, which might undercut what the companies offer.

For example, next week I need a car for a week on Maui, and a car for a day in Honolulu.

For Maui, autoslash.com gave $200 for a random compact car all-in from Thrifty. I go to thrifty.com and a special comes up for a Sebring for the same $$$. Expedia comes up $75-$100 more for anything at all.

For Honolulu, Expedia gives me a special day rate that is better than anything a company will give me directly, but I do have to pay in advance.

The car rental game can be a huge time sucker. You always think there's a better deal out there somehow, some way.

Can any travel agent do better than these? I don’t think so.

For car rentals, often (if not always) the companies' own websites. The aggregators are good for scoping out which companies are offering decent rates, but I'll do the booking at the company itself and usually get a better rate.

For car rentals the exception might be the actual agent sites like Expedia who offer their own deals, which might undercut what the companies offer.

For example, next week I need a car for a week on Maui, and a car for a day in Honolulu.

For Maui, autoslash.com gave $200 for a random compact car all-in from Thrifty. I go to thrifty.com and a special comes up for a Sebring for the same $$$. Expedia comes up $75-$100 more for anything at all.

For Honolulu, Expedia gives me a special day rate that is better than anything a company will give me directly, but I do have to pay in advance.

The car rental game can be a huge time sucker. You always think there's a better deal out there somehow, some way.

Please tell me this thread is not going to degenerate into a 'sucker" thread. There are plenty of those to go along with giraffe threads :twisted::P