canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
admin

CanFlyer Features Upgrade

There are a couple of things on my wishlist to improve the site over the next little while.

-At the top of my list is compatibility with mobile devices. To date there has not been such a function created by the phpBB community. Several have been in development for the past year however I'm not holding my breath. I did notice a "payware" add-in to allow this function, however, the cost is based on a yearly license and that's not really a model of software sales that I'd like to support. I have no idea to tell if it's any good anyway. Since the scope of coding and testing such a function would take me far too long, I've asked a programmer-friend of mine for a quote. It seems to me something that could be done in a matter of hours vs. what would take me months. But either way, we'll get something in place for those users that check the site with a Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile device, etc. to make navigation and posting quite a bit faster and easier.

-There was also a previous suggestion that I overlooked, from member apg28, to have offsite links open up in a new tab or window. It was a good suggestion and will likely take some minor programming changes to implement.

I am certainly open to other suggestions.

At this time I would also like to once again welcome donations from those members that so desire. As you are likely aware, I expect no monetary gain from running, updating and maintaining CanFlyer. In fact, there are a number of costs to me (not to mention my time) incurred by running the site that I am, and always will be, happy to contribute. I have purposefully kept the site ad-free in order to ensure the site remains speedy and there are no plans to ever deviate from that policy.

A year and a half ago, the members of CanFlyer showed their support by raising enough funds to replace my laptop and purchase and integrate a chat system for the site. Recognizing that I use my laptop for quite a bit more than just maintaining CF, I was floored by the generous support as I was only hoping to cover a portion of the cost. Sadly, just four months after the warranty expired, the laptop overheated and required extensive repairs; so much so that Sony was kind enough to offer me a new laptop at a much discounted price as a gesture of good faith as it would have been uneconomical to repair. I took them up on their offer and for a month or so was the proud owner of a new Sony Vaio VGN-FW290. Incidentally, I highly recommend this model to anyone that requires a laptop with enough power to work in Photoshop or other programs that require graphics-intensive capabilities. Unfortunately the laptop and a number of other items were stolen last week and have not since been recovered.

I should not, and do not, expect the members of CF to cover the cost of my laptop bad luck. I simply wanted to give everyone who chooses to donate an idea of where the funds would be spent. Replacing the laptop, along with the above-noted site upgrades, are my priorities right now and therefore any donations will be used to offset those costs. There is no expectation for any member to contribute. Doing so will not change your access to the site in any form. However you will have my (and the CF community's) appreciation should you choose to do so.

Can you please indicate how funds can be sent to you ?

airbus320 and others,

I would prefer to discuss these details by email or PM so that I'm not posting my address on a publicly viewable area but in general there are three options that were used last time:

1) Interac Email Money Transfer

2) Paypal

3) Cheque or money order through the mail

Thank you!

Cedric.

You can be expecting hte first donation sometime this week. Presently at the Marriott in Victoria, BC for the week!

Sanosuke!

admin,

Indeed, as I write this post, I see the clouds are moving around like scurrying rabbit above the hotel.

Sanosuke!

-There was also a previous suggestion that I overlooked, from member apg28, to have offsite links open up in a new tab or window. It was a good suggestion and will likely take some minor programming changes to implement.

I have located the code changes required in order to address this issue and will be implementing it within the next few days.

NEW FEATURE:

You'll notice that if members have entered their Frequent Flyer Programs in their profile, it will now display next to each post the user makes.

I have located the code changes required in order to address this issue and will be implementing it within the next few days.

This has now been implemented. Links to offsite pages will now open in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings.

HINT: In order to set your preference (tab or window) in Internet Explorer 7, click on Tools, Internet Options, locate the Tabs section and choose Settings. The middle option is the one you are looking for.

I have also upgraded the forum software to the latest revision, although this is mostly a security update and you will not notice many functionality improvements. At the same time, I have revised the chat software integration which is now significantly improved and more efficient on the back end.

There are a couple of things on my wishlist to improve the site over the next little while.

-At the top of my list is compatibility with mobile devices. To date there has not been such a function created by the phpBB community. Several have been in development for the past year however I'm not holding my breath. I did notice a "payware" add-in to allow this function, however, the cost is based on a yearly license and that's not really a model of software sales that I'd like to support. I have no idea to tell if it's any good anyway. Since the scope of coding and testing such a function would take me far too long, I've asked a programmer-friend of mine for a quote. It seems to me something that could be done in a matter of hours vs. what would take me months. But either way, we'll get something in place for those users that check the site with a Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile device, etc. to make navigation and posting quite a bit faster and easier.

At this time I would also like to once again welcome donations from those members that so desire. As you are likely aware, I expect no monetary gain from running, updating and maintaining CanFlyer. In fact, there are a number of costs to me (not to mention my time) incurred by running the site that I am, and always will be, happy to contribute. I have purposefully kept the site ad-free in order to ensure the site remains speedy and there are no plans to ever deviate from that policy.

A year and a half ago, the members of CanFlyer showed their support by raising enough funds to replace my laptop and purchase and integrate a chat system for the site. Recognizing that I use my laptop for quite a bit more than just maintaining CF, I was floored by the generous support as I was only hoping to cover a portion of the cost. Sadly, just four months after the warranty expired, the laptop overheated and required extensive repairs; so much so that Sony was kind enough to offer me a new laptop at a much discounted price as a gesture of good faith as it would have been uneconomical to repair. I took them up on their offer and for a month or so was the proud owner of a new Sony Vaio VGN-FW290. Incidentally, I highly recommend this model to anyone that requires a laptop with enough power to work in Photoshop or other programs that require graphics-intensive capabilities. Unfortunately the laptop and a number of other items were stolen last week and have not since been recovered.

I should not, and do not, expect the members of CF to cover the cost of my laptop bad luck. I simply wanted to give everyone who chooses to donate an idea of where the funds would be spent. Replacing the laptop, along with the above-noted site upgrades, are my priorities right now and therefore any donations will be used to offset those costs. There is no expectation for any member to contribute. Doing so will not change your access to the site in any form. However you will have my (and the CF community's) appreciation should you choose to do so.

Cedric, how is the fund raiser going.

I am overdue to send you smething so please send me details and I'll get a check out today.

Cedric, how is the fund raiser going.

I am overdue to send you smething so please send me details and I'll get a check out today.

Thanks parnel. So far just the one contribution referenced above, although a few others have indicated their intent. Thanks for your offer.

Admin,

I've thrown you a paypal payment. Hope you find it sufficient. Second contribution coming later this month. ;)

Sanosuke!

BUMP