• Announcements

• admin

July 2016 Update   07/28/2016

A few months ago, the previous three year term on the site's hosting ended. Although there's been little activity over the past few years, I didn't want to see all our historical content disappear. The site was funded by members in the early years, so it didn't seem right to let the site slide into oblivion. I've updated the backend software, and hosting has been acquired for the next three years. As a result of changes with the forum software, you may find you have initial trouble logging in. If you can't sign in, try using your e-mail address instead of your screen name. Regards, Cedric Nagy
      Canflyer Administrator  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SEFlyer

RBC Avion BA Promotion

30 posts in this topic

Well if you won't be using them, why not offer them up for trade or something ? 

I could do that but the above post may offer me the best use of them. I am simply too much ingrained into AC to use them myself.  

I am quite happy with my BA points, but then again I hold status with them ! Great redemptions for inside Japan on short notice which I often need ! 

I am quite happy with my BA points, but then again I hold status with them ! Great redemptions for inside Japan on short notice which I often need ! 

Which is what I get with my AE miles. I have always gotten the flights I want even on short notice.

Which is what I get with my AE miles. I have always gotten the flights I want even on short notice.

Too bad it is AE miles , I find better use for my DL Skypesos !  :mrgreen:

For those of us who no longer occupy the heavenly echelons of FF programs, advance planning and booking is essential.  I have found BA's availability to be a bit better than AC.

I can get good J class rewards on BA and oneworld with good planning and some travel flexibility.  Here are examples of recent excellent use of Avios points:

February, 2014, 2 J class one way CPT-JNB-LHR.  While on stopover at JNB 2 J class JNB-LVI-JNB.  Then 2 Premium Economy one way LHR-YYZ.

September, 2014, have booked 2 Premium Economy YYZ-LHR-YYZ, using a Free Companion ticket from RBC-BA co-branded Avion card so pay points for only one ticket.  I think  LHR is short enough to be a waste of points in J class when BA have an adequate premium economy product.

January, 2015, have booked 4 economy tickets one way MDZ-AEP on LAN.

February, 2015, have booked 2 J class on LAN 787 EZE-SCL-JFK then 2 J class JFK-YYZ on AA.

I think that's quite a haul of quality flying for some-one with zero status on BA.  

BA's scamcharges are quite expensive but they still come second to AC in the world championship of scamcharges.  BA also offer points and $ deals on many of their rewards so I have sometimes paid a bit more, to the same level as comparable flight scamcharges on AC, and secured the reward for less points than I'd pay on AC.

To preserve my blood pressure and good humour I now regard FF points as the price one pays for a good long haul upgrade.  The scamcharges for a J class long haul ticket will be roughly the cost of buying the lowest priced economy ticket available so the points are the price of the upgrade.

I'll be making my 1.5 to 1 transfer from my RBC Visa Infinite to Avios after my June Visa statement is issued with up to date RBC Reward points for transfer.  Its a good deal!  :-P