• Announcements

• admin

July 2016 Update   07/28/2016

A few months ago, the previous three year term on the site's hosting ended. Although there's been little activity over the past few years, I didn't want to see all our historical content disappear. The site was funded by members in the early years, so it didn't seem right to let the site slide into oblivion. I've updated the backend software, and hosting has been acquired for the next three years. As a result of changes with the forum software, you may find you have initial trouble logging in. If you can't sign in, try using your e-mail address instead of your screen name. Regards, Cedric Nagy
      Canflyer Administrator  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SEFlyer

RBC Avion BA Promotion

30 posts in this topic

There's a new promotion at the same 1.5 to 1 that starts today and ends June 30.

Seems to be back to the semi-annual promo as there's usually one in winter as well. Thanks for the reminder. ^

BA used to have a rule that you had to take a flight to activate an account. I did a return in Europe from LHR to be sure when I activated mine. I'd advise you to check to make sure.

You can earn and redeem on any oneworld carrier with BA points. I used some of mine last weekend to book on-line a couple of tickets for my wife and I intra-South America and intra-Argentina on LAN for next winter. And they were one-way tickets for 50% of the round trip point price. A good deal! :D

After I got stiffed with the new IKK price to get my wife to SCL, the BA booking was a pleasant experience. :D

BA EC does require flights in certain classes to activate an account but there are ways around that such as getting a RBC BA Plat. Visa.

After I got stiffed with the new IKK price to get my wife to SCL, the BA booking was a pleasant experience. :D

Agreed, we took advantage of the 50% avion to BA promo in November together with the BA award seats sale at 50% off promo. Booked BA-F at the equivalent of 60K (value of 180K) for our trip to Europe in March. We needed to make a couple of changes to the return flights - easliy done online and without any charge!!

When did AE last have an award seat sale. The last I heard SE's were being gouged another 30% to use IKK.

So I continue to split my purchases between RBC Avion and CIBC Aerogold just in case this sale comes up again.

I received these cash advance cheques offering me 1 pt per dollar to a max of 6K through the promotion. There seemed to be no restriction insofar as how long the advance had to be carried to qualify for the points, so thought it could be an easy and cheap way to pick up 6K. Use a cheque to deposit into one of my accounts at the TD, get the money and use it to repay the cash advance, get the pts and pay a few cents for a couple of day's interest. Has anyone done this when offered by RB or CIBC when they used to offer it as an AE promo?

On again from Dec 1, 09 - Jan 31, 10

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/av ... blic/en_ca

Thanks for the post. I've been wondering if they would have a year-end promo. Previous years have been a Dec 31 end date so this is a little later. Now my decision is whether to move a bunch of points or keep them in Avion for flexibility. I have a big BA balance, more than I'll use in the next year or two. I guess I have over a month to think about the choice.

On again from Dec 1, 09 - Jan 31, 10

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/av ... blic/en_ca

Thanks for the post. I've been wondering if they would have a year-end promo. Previous years have been a Dec 31 end date so this is a little later. Now my decision is whether to move a bunch of points or keep them in Avion for flexibility. I have a big BA balance, more than I'll use in the next year or two. I guess I have over a month to think about the choice.

Yes, thanks superdawg as I thought it funny I hadn't gotten the usual insert in my Avion bill or emails noting the promo so wondered whether it was on or not. Good to see it is as I'll make my annual transfer to BA EC. :)

Just received an e-mail today of Diners having a promotion at 1.5 to 1 with the same january 31 end date as Avion. It seems they match each other.

But Diners only converts at 0.8 AE miles for each Diner's point so 1.5 to 1 means 1.2 AE miles for each Diners point which is 20% less than Avion. So maybe my best option is convert Avion points to BA during the promotion and keep Diners for potential direct purchase of a ticket on which I will earn points and can upgrade.

Hopefully BA will have a repeat on their 50% off award promotion again this year. A first class award was regular 180K - on sale for 90K. With 60K Avion and the 1.5x promotion, you effectively could get a first class award ticket valued at 180K for the equivalent of 60K.

I thought that promo was in the fall of 2008 at the worst point of the economic collapse. Or is my memory off? Has BA had a 50% off promo more than once? Is it likely to be repeated?

Bumping an old thread. The update is RBC Avion are offering a 50% bonus for transfers to BA from July 1 to August 31. Having just run some large purchases through Visa and a couple more to come in the next few weeks I will look forward to a nice big boost in my BA point balance in August.

My wife will continue to travel in the style to which she has become accustomed. In the next 9 months we have booked one way Business class rewards on BA to Rome and home from JNB with no problem. I have no BA status and one way tickets are at 50% of the return fare point price unlike another program we won't mention. I'm impressed with our ability to get top value rewards on BA.

Bumping an old thread. The update is RBC Avion are offering a 50% bonus for transfers to BA from July 1 to August 31. Having just run some large purchases through Visa and a couple more to come in the next few weeks I will look forward to a nice big boost in my BA point balance in August.

My wife will continue to travel in the style to which she has become accustomed. In the next 9 months we have booked one way Business class rewards on BA to Rome and home from JNB with no problem. I have no BA status and one way tickets are at 50% of the return fare point price unlike another program we won't mention. I'm impressed with our ability to get top value rewards on BA.

you maybe impressed but others are not. My son in law (to be) who is BA gold tried to book some people to DUB from YYZ and YUL with his points and could not get flights in August. it appears that like AE you need to book popular routes a year ahead of time.

I did have to be flexible on dates a little for the trip home from JNB but it was only a day or two and we're enjoying a one night stopover in London. And I did book 10 months out. The Rome trip is out of EWR so I guess there may be more selection with lots of flights out of both EWR and JFK on that route. I take it as a given that with no status I have to book long in advance but I remain impressed with being able to do it and get Business Class tickets.

That is a good deal but I already have over 200K stranded miles on BA 

What do you mean 'stranded'?  Why not just use them?

No status and it takes too much planning to use them

Well if you won't be using them, why not offer them up for trade or something ? 

No status and it takes too much planning to use them

You just need to retire and then you have time for all that planning.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

You just need to retire and then you have time for all that planning.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

I am not the retiring kind of guy. My daughter lives in London and we may share the same address some day :mrgreen:  and get my points into the "family" plan. :wink: