canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
SEFlyer

New DC to BA Bonus

I just noticed on the BA page that there is a new bonus for DC Canada members, a 50% bonus for transfers from June 1 to September 30. The 4 month window seems longer than usual. This means 1.2 BA miles for every DC point versus the usual 0.8 miles for every point. I will plan my transfer for September and keep building that BA account.

My thinking is that DC points might be better used on direct purchases with the airlines as opposed to parking them with BA and not having any status with them. Admittedly one needs more DC points to score a J seat but you do have a choice of airlines with DC.

For instance a friend of mine just went to India and could not get a seat on ailrine points but was able to buy a discounted J on KLM for around $5500 and converted around 250,000 DC points plus some minimum cash and got front cabin on the flight of his choice

You have a choice of all oneworld airlines on BA.

My limited experience with rewards on BA is that availability is better than AC even without BA status.

But we each have to weigh the pros and cons of all options and decide what's best value for each of us.

I now have so many BA points I'm going to start trying to use them more often and use them on other oneworld carriers over the next couple of years. Maybe my opinion will change but I hope not. :)

I'm just bumping this up to remind BMs that today is the last day to do a DC to BA transfer at the bonus rate. I did mine yesterday so my family will get more chances to fly on oneworld sometime in the future.

I'm just bumping this up to remind BMs that today is the last day to do a DC to BA transfer at the bonus rate. I did mine yesterday so my family will get more chances to fly on oneworld sometime in the future.

do you know when the RBC bonus kicks in?

I don't know but I had a look at the other thread. Last year Avion was open for 1.5 to 1 from November 19 to December 28. Before 2007 it was a longer fall promotion starting around Thanksgiving but in 2007 and 2008 they also had a spring window. So, if they continue the pattern, I expect you'll see a 6 week Avion window starting in late November.

I don't know but I had a look at the other thread. Last year Avion was open for 1.5 to 1 from November 19 to December 28. Before 2007 it was a longer fall promotion starting around Thanksgiving but in 2007 and 2008 they also had a spring window. So, if they continue the pattern, I expect you'll see a 6 week Avion window starting in late November.

I won't have used or added to my BA account in three years come Oct.25 and it appears they cancel the points then if no transactions. I may just buy 1000 points for $50 to be safe. I have 410K miles with BA.

I won't have used or added to my BA account in three years come Oct.25 and it appears they cancel the points then if no transactions. I may just buy 1000 points for $50 to be safe. I have 410K miles with BA.

410K is an asset worth protecting. Why don't you use them?

Have you had no chance to add to them in 3 years? In the last year I've added points to mine from LAN flights in S. Am, from a couple of Finnair flights in Europe and from a night in a Hyatt. The points were peanuts but it keeps the a/c active.

I have almost twice your balance after yesterday's transfer so I'm going to be looking for chances to use them in the next couple of years.

I have had too many Aeroplan and bank points over the years and actually want to save the BA points for another trip to the Seychelles one of these days. I haven't tpped up with RBC points as these points have good value on AC since they are Q mile eligible flights. I will do something ths week to make sure I keep the account open.

Just bumping this thread to let BMs know that DC has a new promotion permitting conversion at 1.5 to 1 times the usual rate for transfer from DC to BA. The promotion runs until January 31, the same date as the Avion/BA promotion.

But DC usually converts at 0.8 AE miles for each DC point so 1.5 to 1 means 1.2 AE miles for each DC point.