canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
100-000miler

AVIS freg rental programs

Avis has many unadvertised special deals. One example is AVIS First which gives a free day for every 3 rentals. Then there is Avis Weekender club which gives a free weekend after 3 or is it 4 weekend rentals.

Who knows about these programs and other deals. None are really advertised from what I can see. I am already a Presidents Club member but on top of that is the Chairmans Club which is also not at all advertised.

It seems they have many benefits which are hard to find out about. Any info greatly appreciated.

The Weekend offer has been around for ages. When I lived in Edmonton and did weekend rentals quite often I would take advantage of it. However, I now wonder if holding elite status in car rental programs is such a great deal. When I rented an Avis compact for my long weekend drive around Kentucky two weeks ago, I was upgraded to a mini-SVU. I headed back to the counter and demanded the smaller car I had booked since the gas would have cost me twice as much had I kept the larger vehicle!

Unfortunately Avis First is not available to those of us with a Canadian address. I had well beyond the number of rentals required for it last year and when I chased Avis down was given the bad news. The next time I rented, I complained at the counter and the agent gave me the rental for half price ($50 off).

Im not unhappy with them as I often get my pick of the lot. Unfortunatley their YWG location does not yet have a hybrid on the list. XM satellite radio is however quite nice...

Im not unhappy with them as I often get my pick of the lot. Unfortunatley their YWG location does not yet have a hybrid on the list. XM satellite radio is however quite nice...

A great feature(XM) even though they gave me an u/g that turned out to be a gas guzzling Jeep :shock:

I am really angry at Avis. I was caught in YOW traffic and late 38 minutes and they refused to waive the one hour penalty fee. It was a full size car and the penalty was $40.

I am Avis preferred and rent about once a month.

I am looking for a new rental company.

Any suggestions ?

I have found National to be very accommodating and competitive compared to Avis. The last time round my gas tank wasnt full and the guy waived the charge for it. have also gotten free surprise upgrades at RDU.

it came at a price .. before i got into national's preferred propgram i had to wait in line .. at Avis my car was ready at the Preferred area.

I am really angry at Avis. I was caught in YOW traffic and late 38 minutes and they refused to waive the one hour penalty fee. It was a full size car and the penalty was $40.

I am Avis preferred and rent about once a month.

I am looking for a new rental company.

Any suggestions ?

Clearly you have no status with AVIS as I have always found them to be very accomodating on short overruns like yours. You need status, get it like Pres Club.

No offense taken.

I know but I will quit on my terms and not be dictated by a company simply wanting to reduce its cleaning expenses which I find outrageous. This is all cloaked in political correctness so do not get me started on that. At least my local Avis dealer will not charge me!

What other rental companies still offer smoking cars, eg Hertz, National, Budget, etc. I do not know.