canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
Cargoagent

10 Hours at LAX.

Hi folks,

The DW and I are taking a short cruise YVR to LA next week and it looks like we may have 10 hours to kill at LAX waiting for the red-eye. The 15:00 flight is filling up and the next flight is the red-eye.

Does anyone have any suggestions for killing the time? (day room rates, restaurants, shopping grrrr close to the airport)

Cheers

CA

Although taxi cabs are really expensive to go anywhere from LAX, if you have 10 hours I would go to Santa Monica and stroll around the 3rd Avenue Promenade. There are several good and great restaurants in the area with the priciest on Ocean Avenue.

Shopping is also excellent and nowhere near as $$ as Rodeo Drive. :)

There might even be shuttles although I've never investigated it. Maybe you could hitch a ride on the Fairmont shuttle?

Since you're not a rich Alberta lawyer...

The Blue Bus from the LAX Transit Centre is $1.25 per person and takes a nice ride along the neighbourhoods between LAX and Santa Monica over 45-minutes. Runs every 15-minutes. Drops you off right by the Pier. (Confirm where you pick it up to go back to LAX since the return stop is a bit confusing.) You can also purchase a Day Pass at one of the LAX Terminal machines for $3.00, good with a 25¢ transfer to the LA Red Express Buses that run from Santa Monica up to Beverly Hills and the leBrea Museum district. (You need US bills and change though.) Save your money for a nice meal in Santa Monica, Venice or Beverly Hills.

Although taxi cabs are really expensive to go anywhere from LAX, if you have 10 hours I would go to Santa Monica and stroll around the 3rd Avenue Promenade. There are several good and great restaurants in the area with the priciest on Ocean Avenue.

Shopping is also excellent and nowhere near as $$ as Rodeo Drive. :)

There might even be shuttles although I've never investigated it. Maybe you could hitch a ride on the Fairmont shuttle?

I'll echo the above thoughts and add a stroll on Venice Beach. VB is between LAX and Santa Monica. Their is an excellent Italian Restaurant in SM on the main drag (oceanside) of the promenade, it is on a corner, outdoor patio, looks somewhat expensive, but is in fact excellent value.

VB is a hoot, free entertainment just watching the happenings, take a walk on the pier, lots of cheap places to eat on VB.

Another option could be to rent a car. I don't know how much it is, but the last time I was there, I got a daily rate of $17usd... Even for 10 hours, given the limited amount of time you have, you can fit quite a bit in if you drive between places. Plus the bus is not as pleasant to ride in LA as it is in say SFO or NYC. To add, I was highly advised by my friend not to take the bus. But of course, he lives off the USC campus (South Central LA) where the LA riots once took place...

I would do Venice, Santa Monica, the Grove, and a museum in ten hours. I did quite a bit of shopping in Beverly Hills when I was in LA. You could also visit the Getty Center, LACMA, or the Californian museums located off the USC campus. The Huntington -- though out of the way -- is another beautiful place to go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Heading to the beach sounds like a good idea. I'll look into renting a car so we have someplace to keep our roll-ons.

In Santa Monica there are several parkades on 4th and 5th Avenue for which parking as I recall is FREE for the first 2 or 3 hours so a rental might be the way to go! Thereafter the rates are fairly reasonable.

To get there, take the 405 south and exit on I-10 west to Santa Monica and then exit on the 4th and 5th Avenue exit.

To walk to Venice Beach head south or left at the Santa Moncia Pier (beach level) along the cement walkway. It takes about 20 minutes.

Yes, in Santa Monica, the Fourth Ave parking lot is free for the first few hours. In Beverly Hills/Hollywood, the Beverly Center charges $1 for the first three hours which I think is very reasonable too.

A couple of thoughts from a local...

In Santa Monica the parking lot for the shopping mall (enter 2nd & Colorado) is free if you are parked before 5 p.m., after that it is $3. Be warned though parking fills up quickly on Thursday evenings as there are free public concerts on the Pier.

The italian restaurant being referred to above is Il Fornello, I can also attest to the fact it is very good and reasonably priced.

If you do have a car and want something a bit less touristy than SM, head to Manhattan Beach. Very nice area. You can find a brew pub mere steps to the beach (end of MB Blvd).

For shopping I would tend not to go for Rodeo Drive/BH. If you want upscale shopping go for Robertson Drive (the new designers vs Rodeo Drive which are the older designers), the Grove, or the shopping centre on Santa Monica Blvd just east of the 405 (can't remember the name, sorry - Westwood I think). All better choices.

If you have any particular interests let me know and I will help point you in the right direction.

(btw Shareholder I found an amazing pub last week in Santa Monica, 2 pints for $8 - woohoo! When are you coming back?)