canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
imverge

MBNA STARWOOD MASTERCARD COMMENTS?

I got my card last week and started using it immediatley.

I like the fact it has no annual fee and has some incentives to spend more on the card such as 5000 points after your first Purchase and another 5000 after your first stay at a Starwood hotel. Plus for every $10K you spend you get an annual bonus of 5K upto a max 15K...

Now what I don't like...

I wish that MBNA had a website that was dedicated to customers where you can view account and point earning activity.

I feel the balance transfer rate of 19.99% to be way too HIGH!

I also feel that any dollars spent at Starwood hotels should have a ratio of 1 dollar spent 1 earned.

Those are my feelings about where they can improve in the future. I am sure once they get some feedback from customers they will pursue improvments.

Any Comments?

I have been using the card for a couple of months now and have a couple of the same complaints, which I have voiced to MBNA.

My biggest pet peeve with the card is that you can't follow your purchases on the web! What year are we living in? I have been told this should be in place by the end of this year by a MBNA rep.

As for the balance transfer, when I phoned in this morning to report my first stay at a Sheraton last week at the end of the phone call I was told they are currently doing transfers at 4.6% (maybe 4.9?) and she was really pushing for me to use this service. I explained that I pay off all balances monthly but she was pretty persistent, telling me I could even just transfer some cash to my chequing account!! I almost had to hang up just to get her to shut up.

For the most part though I am happy with the card, and will use it until the $30K mark each year when I will switch back to using my Aerogold.

Getting the bonus points posted has been a continual frustration with this card. There seems to be NO system in place to send the bonus points to SPG when the first stay is made at a Starwood property. It took me six or so calls over a 2 month period to get them to add the 5000 points. Several people have been told to send in a coupon which never existed. Growing pains, I guess...

My 5k bonus for spending $10k posted automatically this month ^

I too had to phone in to get my first stay bonus but that posted very shortly after the call ^

I have upped my spending on this card over anything I have previously used because I truly love SPG points.

Can't wait for them to finally get on line with our transactions. If anything you would think this would be a priority for them as it saves money vs customers having to phone in and possibly speak to an agent.

The growing pains still are bearable given the return for using the card IMHO.

As for the 1$=1 point I understand that this will likely not happen as they have to buy the points in US $ and in my view the bonuses are making up for this shortfall.

The growing pains still are bearable given the return for using the card IMHO.

As for the 1$=1 point I understand that this will likely not happen as they have to buy the points in US $ and in my view the bonuses are making up for this shortfall.

I agree totally. This card is well worth the small amount of frustration it has caused. Especially when you consider how much the annual fee is :wink:

I have not gotten my first statement as of yet but I did charge a pre-paid stay in London next month which should be reflected on my first statement. I hope I will not have to call to get my 5K first purchase bonus. Also I will try and get my first stay bonus added as-well with the pre-charge of my London stay.

From the sounds of things on this forum they are getting better as time goes by. I really hope they come up with some bonus promos to entice further stays at Starwood such as triple points or stay five nights and get a weekend night free similar to what AMEX SPG offers their card members in USA... Let's hope :?

Cross your fingers...

Actually MBNA's website is very poor. Not very user or customer friendly for ALL card-holders. Maybe it is just me but if you want to compete with the big players of loyalty cards (CIBC AEROVISA, BMO WEST-JET, AMEX AEROPLUS) then you got to have your act together in all respects from marketing to customer friendly on-line access. This card is targeted to people who travel and as such rely on internet access to info 24/7 no matter where they are... Everytime I call I will bring up this issue and I hope you all do the same. Maybe if we make enough noise they will hear us!!

But I am happy to put up with the growing pains FOR NOW.. :wink:

As I am happy to Finally have a SPG card in Canada.

Got card in Oct/Nov last year, all points posted promptly as expected. :)

Now to the downside: MBNA is the MOST annoying marketer among all CDN bank/CC companies. They are very interested in sending you credit card cash advance cheques, or calling in the middle of the work day or around dinner time to sell you balance transfer. I called to opt out of all marketing list, and only gotten 1 phone call so far.

Bottom line, little bit of hassle for a pretty good card. Enjoy!

As to the AAA bonus, the Starwood card gives you preferred plus status which is fairly similar to Gold except you only get the regular 2 point per dollar earning rate rather then the 3 points per dollar earning rate. Preferred Plus is available to AAA/CAA members so I think there is a bonus offer with bonus points for up to 3 stays. I only had one so far and it gave me an extra 1000 points.

Yup, also got a telemarketing call for the payment protection plan which is the most useless money grab. The guy kept reading the script and I have to say 3 times NOT interested before it even registered :(

Has anyone tried to cancel the card yet? (not that any of you would so soon)

Just wondering because I have heard horror stories of MBNA making it next to impossible to cancel one of their cards and not responding/closing your account until legal action was threatened by the cardholder.

I cancelled an MBNA card about 2 yrs ago, and didn't have a problem. When I was asked why I told them their interest rate was too high and wanted it lower, they said no, I said cancel and they did.

I posted part of this info on errorplan.com but for you Starwood types, you may be interested in the fact that Starwood Lurker has apparently confirmed to be in attendance at the big CO-do in IAH April 1-2 that you can - if you still go there :wink: - read about in the first post in the sticky thread in the CO forum on FT.

MBNA processed my SPGMC application earlier this winter, and to their credit, they paid attention to the fraud victim warning I have in place with each of Canada's credit reporting agencies. A MBNA rep called me personally--and when she didn't reach me at home, she tried me at work. It's nice to know people pay attention to these types of things.

The card has my SPG number on the front. I used it for the first time on Monday and look forward to my first-puchase bonus.

Yep, I waited for a long time before signing up for the card, but after getting yet another snail-mail a few days ago, and reading the responses on FT and here, I decided to get off my duff and sign up.. Rather then sign up on their website because I had some questions to ask, I called them and was able to sign up at the time.

Noticed when I read the fine print from their snail mail, that there are actually two types of the SPG MBNA card that they issue, depending on the credit they give you. One card is the SPG MBNA PREFERRED card, and the other is the SPG MBNA PLATINUM PLUS card (which is the one they usually advertise), so you might want to have a look at your card to see which one they've isssued to you. The CSR said that both cards have all the bonuses and same offers, but the PLATINUM PLUS card has higher limits on insurance, and your credit limit is higher.

I asked if I would get the coupon for the hotel stay bonus with my enrollment package, and there seemed to be some confusion as to whether they mail it out automatically any more. But both CSR's I spoke to said that you should get the hotel stay bonus automatically when you use the card to pay for your first stay at a Starwood, as long as your card is linked to your SPG account, although we've seen that it doesn't always seem to be happening automatically, necessitating a phone call to MBNA to get the points credited.

I also requested that they show my SPG number on the card, and they said it would be done. Hope they follow through on that.

They said it would take a week or two before I get the card in the mail, let's see how fast it arrives.

bj-21.

My card came a week after I applied for it, with my Starwood number showing correctly. So far, so good. Let's see if my points show up for first purchase, and later a Starwood stay without my needing to call them, as there was no coupon included in the welcome package.

bj-21.

The 5000 welcome bonus points and the points for my first billing period of purchases posted to my SPG membership 3/24/05... just over three weeks from my first purchase. Not bad! And I haven't even paid my bill yet!

8)

Hi Parnel,

MBNA SPG card is not on calendar year but on your card's anniversary date. This took 3 calls and finally speaking to a supervisor to clearify for me since I switched from another MBNA card and had been given my MBNA anniversary date by one rep (Aug) and another by looking at my statement I think for 1st charges to SPG card (Jan) and finally when I switched the card to SPG which is the real anniversary date and when they do the cut off (mid-Nov). I have confirmed the bonus is available every anniversary year.

Does anyone know if the first stay at a Starwood property is an annual bonus or was it a one off at sign up to the card?

AFAIK this is a one-time only bonus.

My only problem with the card is that once I hit $30K, there is little incentive to keep using the card, since I don't get the bonus point matches, so my spending is about to revert back to my wife's Aerogold until I hit the 12-month anniversary date.

This part of the plan must have been developed by the same person who advises AE on how to retain Elite's loyalty after they hit 35K miles. :roll: