canflyer
Sign in to follow this  
zorn

"I missed a flight due to my own stupidity" thread

So the other place has a few stories about self-loading freight failing to appear on time (and somehow the airline gets blamed for some aspect of its response).

My second ever business trip was to Paris. I brought Mrs. Zorn and 5yo Zorn along as tourists. My parents came to YYZ to look after our toddler for the week. We went Air Transat as it was all we could afford at the time. Being naive, I did everything I could to minimize expenses, including the use of the RER to get into the city instead of a taxi.

(To be honest I very much enjoy the train trips into the big European cities, through the suburbs where all the real people live. But I digress.)

My cheapness continued up to our return to CDG. We ventured out from Rue de Turbigo to the nearest subway ride to a mainline train station to head up to the airport. We were a little late getting going, managed to have to wait at all the train connections, and to make matters worse I couldn't remember which of the CDG stops to get off at. We got off at the wrong one and ended up having to take a shuttle bus to the correct terminal. As it happens we took the worst possible route, the bus driver was incredibly slow, and there was construction going on that made it even worse.

By the time we get near Terminal 9 it's getting very close to flight time. We run with all our bags from the bus to the terminal. There is roof over part of the sidewalk outside the terminal with a series of poles supporting is. As we were running, I turned to see if the family was keeping up and ran full speed with the side of my head into a pole. OUCH!

We got to into the terminal with 40m to spare and couldn't find any TS people. Eventually we found someone who told us the flight closed at 45m before takeoff, so we missed it. The next flight was the next day. The guy cut me a bit of a break - he didn't charge any taxes on the new tickets I had to buy.

To be frank I thought Mrs. Zorn was going to completely decompensate, but she took it in stride. I called the hotel and they saved a room for us. I called my parents to tell them they would have to stay another day. We headed back into the city - this time by taxi!

We dropped off our bags at the hotel and decided to go to the Army museum (I can't be bothered to look up the real name). We are on the subway, standing up, when some guy nearby drops a book. It hit my son on the head. Oh well - but wait! It wasn't an accident! At the next stop as some people get off the train he random punched some of them in the head. Sadly, the man was obviously very, very sick. A stunned silence fell over the subway car. I moved wife and son away from him, with me in the middle. As we went to get off at the next stop he nailed me right in the head - and right where I had ran into the pole at CDG! This is now known as the time daddy got whaled on in Paris.

We had a wonderful extra day in Paris along with a wonderful meal on Ile St Louis in the evening. I know the week was probably the happiest time my wife and son have ever had.

Needless to say, the next day we took a taxi to CDG and spent a very long time mulling about the shoebox that is Terminal 9. No lounge, no miles, premium cabin out of the question, missed flight, new ticket we couldn't afford, but being Paris it was all worthwhile.

Great story, zorn. Mind you, if you're going to get delayed 24 hours, Paris is a good place for it to happen.

... decided to go to the Army museum (I can't be bothered to look up the real name)...

La Musée de l'Armée in les Invalides. I spent a happy afternoon there last month.

Zorn, nice story! However, I'd run BEHIND them, then you wouldn't have to look sideways. And don't look sideways when running next time. :) That parisan who flew into a rage on the subway needs to be quartered and made accountable for his actions. :( Sad state of mind there.

Sanosuke!

Speaking of people who missed their flight. When I got to the lounge in YEG yesterday evening, there was a guy complaining to the check in desk that he missed his flight and that it was AC's fault for not announcing departing flights in the lounge.

He admitted that he should have realized the flight left, but somehow, it wasn't his fault and he wanted to know who to complain to. I eventually had to leave the lounge as his very loud business calls got very annoying.

I've had one of those experiences - missing the flight due to my own fault, not the running into a pole trying to catch a plane.

In my case, I was making time with the person who would eventually become Mrs. CL. It was at IAD, and smart ass me decided that we should have a dinner before our flight (romantic - not really as it was a TGI Friday). Anyway, she was sufficiently impressed when we popped into the RCC and they helped find a nearby hotel for us :lol: