Sign in to follow this  
PB

2006 Federal Election musings ...

The politicos and their thoughts on the shootings in Toronto yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/a2raz

"Party leaders speak out on Toronto shootings

Last Updated Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:02:59 EST

CBC News

Prime Minister Paul Martin, who has made the issue of gun violence part of his campaign platform, said the Boxing Day shootings in downtown Toronto are the "consequences of exclusion" of young people. "

Stephen Harper and Mel Lastman been chatting? :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/ahl9a

"

Harper calls in the troops

By KEVIN WARD

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 Posted at 6:37 PM EST

Canadian Press

Courtenay, B.C. — Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says major cities across the country should be given a regular army presence by creating territorial defence units to help deal with emergencies in urban areas."

Seems the bank mergers are becoming a topic on the hustings again ...

http://tinyurl.com/8evug

wondering what others think about the issue? Should they be allowed to merge?

What was Martin thinking when in one breath he said this would be an issue for the next government to deal with but then in the next refused to say what his position on mergers will be?

Bank mergers should be subject to the same competition rules as other segments of the economy. My concern is that banking is already a very concentrated industry in this country. If mergers are allowed, we'll be down to 2 ore max 3 "major" banks within 2 years. I'm not sure going to 2 or 3 banks will help them internationally. (Even if they ALL merged together , they'd be small by the standards of the some of the global collossues).

Scotiabank has been extremely successful on the international scene because it looks beyond the highly competitive and expensive US market. Most of its competitors are earning far lower returns on their US investments and a big part of the rationale to merge is so we can play even more in the US. My prediction is mergers will be VALUE DESTROYING for the acquiring bank, although shareholders of the weaker banks that get bought will do OK if they take cash.

I think there are enough near bnks and offshore banks ready to expand if the mergers are allowed. Mergers always bring other opportunities in the economy and if the banking mergers are allowed thye should come with some rules for partial spinoffs of potential competition reduction elements.

Other elements of bank mergers would be to allow insurance companies and foreign controlled banks an easier entry into the system.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing the ability for mergers across the "pillars" of the financial industry - say Manulife buing CIBC or Royal buying Sun Life. (seems to work for ING). But that would gore a whole new set of oxen in the insurance brokerage industry.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing the ability for mergers across the "pillars" of the financial industry - say Manulife buing CIBC or Royal buying Sun Life. (seems to work for ING). But that would gore a whole new set of oxen in the insurance brokerage industry.

I don't see that happening other than to allow the insurance companies a wider berth in the banking sector.

Based on the debate tonight the undecideds will now decide who forms the next government. There are over well 20% undecideds which I would think plays to the Liberals. And if the Reform makes any breakthrough in Quebec it will be at the expense of the Blocheads and allow the libs to slip up the middle of several ridings.

I am a long time Liberal supporter in Alberta and it's embarrassing how poorly run this campaign and indeed the entire Martin as PM fiasco has been.

Those Moronites have worked the hijacked Liberal Party on a downward spiral to defeat since they first began rigging the constituencies in the early 90's.

Our only hope will be Martin's resignation and a mass purge of the Moronites....

parnel: care to revise your earlier forecasts of the election results?

cheers, MWAC

Has the fat lady sung yet? Remember the last election... Martin was behind as well. Only one poll counts.....JAN.23

parnel: care to revise your earlier forecasts of the election results?

cheers, MWAC

Has the fat lady sung yet? Remember the last election... Martin was behind as well. Only one poll counts.....JAN.23

Can you say,Prime Minister Harper? :?:cry:

What a choice.vote for lyers and cheats ,or the alternatives who are lyers and cheats :roll::cry:

I'd rather the ones I know then the ones I don't....Harper hasn't earned a legitmate dollar in his life that wasn't supported by his right wing money bag guys he won't acknowledge.

Harper scares the crap outta me -- he has not changed at all from the last election ... his handlers have him on a tight leash so he does not yap his true feelings ... too bad the Liberals pulled the "army in cities" ad ... I think that is a true view of Stephen Harper.

Harper scares the crap outta me -- ....

You scare easily.........don't go out at night.

Yeah, you might run into the Morality Squads (like in Iran) that Harpoon and his like will be putting out on the streets in the guise of the military to enfore sharia - the evangelical one that is promoted by such Harpoon candidates as David Sweet, Stockwell Day, Rob Anders, Darrell Reid :roll: et al.

How in the world could any intelligent person vote for a party that has candidates like the above?

[

Yeah, you might run into the Morality Squads (like in Iran) that Harpoon and his like will be putting out on the streets in the guise of the military to enfore sharia - the evangelical one that is promoted by such Harpoon candidates as David Sweet, Stockwell Day, Rob Anders, Darrell Reid :roll: et al.

How in the world could any intelligent person vote for a party that has candidates like the above?

You forget the Harpoon man himself and his plastic smile just waitng to get the lobsters (us) in the pot and then he'll make the Ayatollahs look mild.

Harper scares the crap outta me -- he has not changed at all from the last election ... his handlers have him on a tight leash so he does not yap his true feelings ....

I too share your sentiments. It is what Harper is NOT saying that the voters should fear.

Tories disown candidate

By ROMA LUCIW

Thursday, January 12, 2006 Posted at 11:30 AM EST

"A British Columbia candidate facing smuggling charges will not be allowed to sit as a Conservative if he wins his riding in the Jan. 23 election, Stephen Harper said today."

Link: http://tinyurl.com/8zaa5

Ah yes -- the real look of the conversative party :wink: